The beauty Industry in Africa has come a long way. Although there is still so much untapped potential, it is definitely a breath of fresh air knowing that you can be successful in the beauty world provided you are dedicated to your craft and you put in the work. This is the case with one of my favorite South African Beauty YouTube content creators, Makeup Artist and Instagram Influencer Mihlali Ndamase.
At just 21 years of age, she has managed to build a name for herself through her YouTube channel and Instagram page. She shares her tips and tricks on how to master just about any beauty skill you can think of.
As a result, she has built strong relationships with beauty brands such as MAC, NYX, TRESemme and Bobbi Brown to name a few. With a little over 60,000 Subscribers on YouTube (not bad for someone who started her channel 2 years ago) and inching closer to 400,000 followers on Instagram, her page serves nothing but amazing face beats and fashion Inspiration as well.
Here are some of the beauty tips I have picked up from the gorgeous Mihlali.
For A Simple Everyday Makeup Look…
Stick to foundation, powder, mascara, blush, lipstick and filling in your brows. This is one of the first videos she posted on her channel and the whole process took her just 20 minutes. When going for a soft glam look which is typical of an everyday makeup look, you can skip eye shadow. Just make sure your brows are well filled in, define your eyes with mascara, foundation and powder are a must for that flawless finish while the blush will help to add some color and definition to your face. Last but not least, a staple nude lipstick will put the whole look together. Mihlali’s go to nude lipstick is M.A.C taupe that is especially flattering for women of color.
The Key To Smooth, Glowing Skin…
Ever wondered why South African Women have particularly amazing skin? In my quest to figuring this out I came across Mihlali’s secret for glowing skin. It’s as simple as exfoliating. There are tons of DIY exfoliating scrubs to try but the easiest way to go about this is by getting a pair of exfoliating gloves and a good exfoliating body scrub.
After exfoliating, try mixing your body moisturizer with an oil or glycerin for the ultimate glow.
The Secret To Flawless Foundation Application…
Mihlali is all about that glowy, dewy skin. Her makeup is always flawless and her foundation looks like second skin. She shared her tips on her YouTube channel and I promise if you follow these steps, you will upgrade your foundation game. The secret to flawless foundation application is in the skin prep.
- Start off by priming your face and go over that with a makeup setting spray (preferably one with a dewy finish).
- If you have any dark spots or dark under eye circles, you can use an orange color corrector to fix that.
- The next step is to apply your foundation. The key is to pat the product in and not drag it on your face as this will leave streaky lines that make it obvious you are wearing foundation. A beauty blender is a must use for flawless foundation application plus it will help absorb excess product on your face giving you that ‘second skin’ look.
- Highlight your under eye with a concealer that is 2-3 shades lighter than your skin color for a bright under eye effect. Finish off with a makeup setting spray to hold your makeup in place all day. Simple, easy and practical!
Beginners Makeup Kit Guide…
If you are new to makeup, then you definitely know the hustle of trying to figure out what products you need to get to start building your kit, whether it’s a personal makeup kit or a professional one. I personally found this guide from Mihlali very helpful and the product recommendations were affordable, proof that beauty does not have to be expensive. You can still get quality beauty products at an affordable price. She swears by L.A Girl concealers for highlighting and contouring as well as covering up any blemishes. As per Mihlali’s guide, a beginner’s makeup kit should have the following:
- Brow kit
- Eye shadow and Highlighter palette
- Setting Powder
- Beauty blender
- Blush palette
- Setting spray
- Makeup brushes
- Lip liners and lipsticks ( in nude, red, pink and any dark color of choice to start with)